mercoledì 27 luglio 2011

Vote in the Wine Blog Awards!

So, there’s this thing called the Wine Blog Awards which is sort of a hybrid of the Oscars and the People’s Choice Awards.

The awards combine a juried review along with popular voting and recognize English language wine blogs in a number of categories like, “Best Writing,” “Best Business Blog,” “Best Wine Reviews,” “Best Overall,” and so on.  There are eight categories overall and not all blogs are a fit for every category as there are a few specialty areas like, “Best Single Subject,” “Best Winery Blog,” etc.

Like all awards, because we take our cues from popular culture, most people are “humbled” and diffident when named a finalist and/or a winner, and secretly (or not so secretly) peeved if they’re not acknowledged.  If nothing else, this is a measure of the influence of the awards in the online wine writing community.

image

I’ve been a finalist or a winner since the inception of the awards in 2007, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I like winning.

However, up until last year, I was winning awards because of my blog design – which, frankly, I conceived, but I paid for with the help of an ace designer.  So, these were hollow victories because it had nothing to do with writing, where I put in actual effort.

Then, last year, I had a breakthrough of sorts and I was a winner in the, “Best Business Blog” category – recognition for writing capably about wine marketing and the wine industry.  Yes!  This was good because the purpose of this site is to write column-style and make the wine business (behind the lifestyle façade) interesting and accessible.

Flash forward a year and I’ve been named a finalist in three categories and they’re not the design category (thank goodness). 

Please vote for whomever you deem worthy in the Wine Blog Awards.  You’ll see that I’m a finalist in the following categories:  “Best Overall,” “Best Business Blog,” “Best Writing.”

Vote here.

As always, thanks for reading Good Grape and helping me, a schooled journalist, but non-professional writer, pursue my interest in wine while scratching my creative itch and hopefully, as George Bernard Shaw, perhaps the most oft-quoted guy that nobody knows what he’s known for, said, “If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple.  But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”

weather radar soccer football

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento